29/01/2007

Synchronous communication with the little ones

Today, at least, I had a chance to use both yahoo voice and spyke with our dear friend Ehsan.. (Hi Ehsan how are you? It was really a phantastic time on Spyke I owe you a great deal of food for thinking and digest...thanks always) Here is the paradox. I found it a bit complicated for the little ones to communicate synchronously...and thought of straight abandoning the idea . They lack of fluency and there is loss of vital communicative information such as lip reading and non verbal communication.
Then as usual Sofia could not help her natural curiosity (I must say Ehsan has a beautiful voice and nice accent very understandable to her)so she wished to participate.
I had long ago given up the idea of her turning to English for spontaneus communication since this only occurs out of mysterious reasons with her sister. However there she was, a four year old loosely talking to a microphone, sharing about her, listening to Ehsan, laughting and acting as if it were so natural to her to speak to anyone but her sister in English, she even played the piano to him!!! the four keys she plays...
So I had a nice look at the experience and thought than maybe we should not only assess resources according to its apparently cognitive or communicative meaningfulness but wether if it is emotionally meaningful, wether it is worth experiencing second language as an amazing wonder wand to people's openness and thereby engage our students from a young age in a lifetime process which should be worth many efforts. Thanks for your support

7 comments:

Mônica said...

You're right, Maite, children never cease to amaze me... The emotional involvement and motivation are certainly important elements to be taken into account anytime learning is involved! Good work! Keep blogging!
Um abraço,
Monica (BH-Brazil)

marcanello52 said...

WOW! I am sooo impressed by your blog! You've done wonders!
I loved the welcome message... It's sweet. I'll play it to my grandchildren.
Thanks for sharing!
Marcela from Argentina

Barbara said...

Your blog has improved a lot. It's very nice, I like the photos about your kids.
Good luck!

testecarla said...

Dear Maite,

You should keep trying out and you'll be amazed how the little ones are much at ease with tech things that seem so more complicated for us!

But, if you wanted to test something with sound with your students playing the safe side, first, maybe you should consider a podcast first. It's easy to do it nowadays, it uses audio and they can have replies, too, just like a blog.

A great example is from Erika with her young students. Have fun with it!

Erika's Podcast with Young Students

Keep sharing your findings and doubts. I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas and solutions to your queries!

Beijos,
Carla

kate said...

This is such a great idea! I agree that something like this is bound to be very motivating for the kids. And Sofia's songs and message are adorable!

Maite Martinez Serra said...

Hi Kate!

you know you are always welcome to record Pedro or Elias and I'd love to publish their postasts in the sound files. It would be also great to see how bilingualism really works as it is in your kids case!

Thanks for peeping in!
Maite

Maite Martinez Serra said...

hhhhh